Search This Blog

Friday, April 11, 2008

Fablehaven


Last night at the Springville Library, Brandon Mull author of Fable Haven came to speak and sign books. We already have a signed copy that Aaron got from a conference he did with Mr. Mull about a month ago. So we have been reading Fablehaven as a family in preparation for his visit. Nathan and I have finished reading it and I am reading it to the rest of the kids at bedtime. It was a really good and magical book. The 10-year-old boy Seth drove me nuts! He kept making the stupidest decisions it was painful and frustrating knowing he was going to do what he did just knowing his personality. But I suppose that's part of what makes a good read is the ability to get emotional abut what the charaters are doing. All the kids are really enjoying hearing the story and always beg me to read one more chapter. (Of course they do this with every book) My sneaky thing I do to get Nathan interested in new books is to start reading the first 1 or 2 chapters of a book and then he has to know what happens next and takes the book to finish it that night or within the next couple of days. (Otherwise he'd still only be reading Harry Potter and Star Wars.) Aaron has yet to have the opportunity to read it. We already have the 2nd book waiting for us at Funfinity. Jimmy told Aaron he would get it signed for him since the line for autographs was SUPERHUGE! That was so nice of him to do for us. We really appreciated it. The kids (Nathan and me :) especially) are looking forward to getting Book 2 and of course we'll have to rush out and get book three when it is released on April 21, I think. The presentation was good. There were a lot of people there, we talked to his publicist (who is also his sister) afterward and she said she was expecting like 10 people to show up and there were definitely over 100 and I think I am estimating low. Mr. Mull talked about his books a little and his creative process. I think my older kids especially liked it. I spent a lot of my time trying to help Tessa & Ryan settle down they were tired and antsy.

No comments: