Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Better Than Wine

For some reason, I've got music on my mind lately. Before Aaron and I were formally engaged, I made him a couple of mixes on tapes. Which are in peril of becoming relics because cassette tapes are, like, soooo 20th century! So I have been in the process of compiling the songs so I can have a full playlist on iTunes and burn them to a CD. This is my cover art to one of the tapes entitled "Better Than Wine."

The problem I am having now is finding some of my more obscure songs:
"Just give me tonight" & "Insight Out" by:Ali Ali Oxen Free--I have fond memories of listening to this song in intimate settings in Provo. I still have the tape but don't have the equipment to transform it to MP3 format. I think that Ryan Shupe (of ". . .and theRubberband") fame was a member of Ali Ali Oxen Free. Maybe I can track HIM down and he can get me a copy!  Someone I work with says he thinks he can hook me up. Cross my fingers!

"Dreamin" by:Pow Wow--I was introduced to this music on my mission. My companion and I would listen to this hours on end. We were stuck in the apartment due to illness and this music was so soothing to listen to. It is available from iTunes France but they won't let me download it. I'll have to resort to other devices!

"Hodja" by:Vocal Point--OK, It's embarrassing to admit what an ENORMOUS Vocal Point groupie I was. My room mate Ximen and I were groupies of the original Vocal Point with Bob Ahlander and Dave Boyce! We had such crushes on them and went to every concert that had and would shout "Don't Stop" in the middle of this song. We would dream about our lives with Dave and Bob--pathetic! Flash Forward to being married and in the Provo 8th ward. Bob and I ended up being not only in the same ward, but on the COOLEST activities committee EVER! Of course by then the whole crush thing was over, and I never even brought up Vocal Point for fear that he would recognize me as the groupie who would hang out near him and even talk to other members of the group (Lowell Stewart from my home ward in Chicago was a member of VP.) So we would talk to Lowell and be too shy to talk to Bob. Hmm. . .maybe since I actually have talked to and even worked with Bob, I could get a copy of Hodja from him. That might work.

"La Belle Notte" from Lady and the Tramp. I know you're probably thinking what is so obscure about THAT song? Well, I am looking for the French version. So It has been a little trickier.

"When I first met Jesus" by the Housemartins. I can find lots of songs by the Housemartins, just not this one! I love the Housemartins.

"I'll Give My All to You" by Vinx.  This song is on the album "Rooms in my Fatha's house" I think it is out of print (If that is the right wording for an album?) I initially was exposed to this song by Ximen.

"The journey of Alan Bean" by Stina Nordenstam--album "Memories of a Colour."  I am amazed that I finally figured out the name of the artist who sings this song. It took me YEARS!  Another one that my comp Clarisse and I would listen to.

"That's All" I don't know who sings the version I have. I got this particular version off a tape my brother Paul had--probably out of his locked trunk that mysteriously was opened about a month before he came home from his mission. . .sorry about that.

"It's all in the Game" again I don't know who sings this version. It's another one I got from ma chere Clarisse Maillard.

Out of 48 total songs, I suppose that needing 10 isn't too bad, but they still make a big difference to the whole. Maybe one day I will be able to find these in digital format and complete my compilations.  Or maybe you know how I can find these treasures. . .

3 comments:

Leslie Moseley said...

Richard was able to get some reel-to-reel tapes digitized so he may be able to help with cassettes. Give him a call sometime.

Migaloo said...

That's all, originally by Genesis?

buttercup said...

Not originally by Genesis. This is a jazz song. It starts off:
I can only give you love that lasts forever.
And a promise to be near each time you call.
And the only heart I own
For you and you alone
That's all,
That's all...

A woman sings the version I am looking for.