Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Broken Teeth and Ginsu

"Mom, I don't know how to tell you this," Nathan begins with a look of sheer panic in his eyes. I'm trying to think of what he could have possibly broken while laying in bed, but thinking it's probably bad because he only gets this mixed look of fear and remorse when he knows he's done something really wrong. He continues,"I think I broke my tooth."
"What?"
"Don't touch it!"
"I need to look at it"
"No, it hurts so bad and I'm so scared"
"Let's have dad take a look at it." Dad is the resident doctor. Any time there is physical pain injury or illness he is responsible for the first aid--especially if there is blood involved.
So Nathan tells Aaron that he thinks he broke his tooth and is so scared. After we finally pry his jaws open, Aaron declares that his molar is loose and not only loose but hanging by a thread.
Next Nathan puts his hands togther in a prayerful position and says"Oh I am so grateful. I am so grateful. I thought the top of my tooth had cracked off!"

My kids can never be accused of not being dramatic on either end of the spectrum. I won't deny that they most likely come by it very honestly through me. 

I remember once as a teenager I was mimicking the Ginsu knife commercials on a carrot and went farther than the carrot and Ginsu'd my finger I started screaming and writhing in agony and pain because I had just sliced the tip of my thumb. I was holding my hand over it so I wouldn't have to see the gruesome reality. My dad came to see what all the commotion was about and he looked like he was getting pretty nervous himself. I wouldn't take my other hand off my thumb. After prying my hand off my thumb it was revealed that only my finger nail had been nicked. I instantly dried my tears and resumed normal behavior as though nothing had happened. My dad, on the other hand was not so calm. I had just given him a near heart attack over a broken finger nail! Ah! La Drame! Life would be so boring if we didn't have a little bit of exaggerated drama in our lives right?

2 comments:

Sonia said...

There is so much to love about this story. A major meltdown over a broken fingernail, a cry for help followed by a command not to look at or touch the surely fatal wound, and a common thread from mother to child. Perfect.

Leslie Moseley said...

Your poor son. I can just imagine the fear of not really knowing what you did wrong but knowing you must have done something cuz your tooth is messed up. He must have been very confused as well as afraid. Totally loved your story of the ginsu'd nail. My cousin Dori actually did cut off the top of a finger in much the same way... glad yours was just a nail. :)