Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gribouilline

At what age is it reasonable to expect your children to NOT write on the walls, floors, etc.? I kind of thought that since my youngest is five that I would be past all that. Amazingly enough, it is not my 5 year old who is the current offender. A few days ago my 6 year old proudly showed me his artwork on the wall next to his bed. I was not pleased. Today, an enormous red crayon circle was found drawn on the floor of my oldest daughter's room--it turns out my 7 year old did it! I got quite upset over this incident too. What possesses these children to leave their mark everywhere? They have TONS of paper accessible to them, chalkboards, dry-erase boards,etc. So why on my floors and walls? I know, it is like this huge blank canvas waiting to be filled. I actually do understand it. I think the coolest bedroom I had ever been in as a teenager was Lisa Eaton's. She was my friend Brandy's big sister and a punk-rock girl and I thought she was SO cool! Her wall was decorated with artwork and poetry that she and her friends had created. I longed to add my mark to her wall. I wished for a wall of my own like hers. Maybe there is no reasonable age to expect them not to do it. I wanted to do it! But I don't want my kids to do it! Maybe I will have to dust off the copy of the french book Gribouilline that my parents gave me when I was young. It is about a girl named Christine who draws on all the walls and fences and even the Bakers window, the mailbox and the furniture coming out of a moving van! Mais Non, Gribouilline! She was naughty and had to clean up all her inappropriately placed artwork on a Saturday when everyone else got to play! And then her parents got her paint brushes and a pad of paper so she lost her nickname of Gribouilline and became toute simplement, Christine! Poor Christine didn't have Mr Clean Magic Erasers and A miniature Bissel to clean up the mess. Tomorrow mes petits Gribouillines will be cleaning up their own messes--OR maybe I should wait til Saturday!

2 comments:

Marc Gingell said...

I think my older girls have learned not to color on the walls....but Sami is a different story. She is old enough that we have started making her clean the walls. As well as she can anyway, only being almost 3. Yet she continues to point out artwork. "Look Mommy, I color wall!" Great.

Heather Walker said...

I feel your pain. I know I am being repaid. My mom reminds me of how,when I was young, went around the whole house with a yellow crayon. She kept discovering new drawing for months.