Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer Reading!

Every summer my kids and I get involved in various summer reading programs. We always do the local library's program, cause they do activities every week and the kids get prizes like free ice cream cones for reading. Last year we were introduced to Barnes and Noble's Summer reading program! Which means no matter where you live you can participate. It is for 1st - 6th graders. After your child reads 8 books they get to go in and "trade" their reading list for a book. They aren't cheap-o books either! They are books that your kids (and you) will want to read. And they span reading levels from simple to advanced. (We got lots of great books last year but for some reason the only one that sticks out in my head head is one we didn't get "Princess Academy" by Shannon Hale--I kept trying to talk one of my kids into it and they didn't want it, but I did!) Last year they let us do it 3 times. I'm not sure what the rule is this year. Any way my kids and I LOVED it and we will be doing it again this year. Going into a bookstore with my children can be very dangerous. We spend hours there! But it makes me happy that they want to spend so much time looking at books!

2 comments:

Holly O. said...

Our Barnes and Noble opens today!! Yippee. I will have to check out their reading program for sure. Actually, I think I'll pack the kids up this afternoon and check out the festivities. PS-I loved Princess Academy. I just finished it last week. I got it for $1 or something ridiculous on amazon.

Heather said...

We'll do that!