Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

What would you have done?

Today was a hard day as a mom. My son had a swimming field trip and he has been looking forward to it, but this morning he woke up feeling like he shouldn't go. He couldn't produce a reason. He just didn't want to go anymore. I felt like it was important for him to go on this field trip, because sometimes we have to do things we think we don't want to do. I was really praying for guidance because he was so adamant about not going. And amazingly enough I stayed calm through it all to gently but firmly tell him that he needed to go. I got told how unfair it was and how I just wanted him to be bored for 2 hours at the pool and then he threatened not to take his swimming clothes to the pool. Like, "I'll show you Mom I'll make myself be miserable and then you'll be sorry!" I felt like I had done the right thing by not giving in to his demands for me to come pick him up from school, but I was dreading the fallout if he did have a bad time, you know how I'm ruining his life and everything. I had to call my husband a couple of times for him to reassure me that I did the right thing by making him go even though he didn't want to.

Well, guess who decided to bring his swimming suit and guess who had so much of a good time that all he could do was talk about all the fun things he did on his field trip to the pool!? So, now I am glad that I stuck to my guns and made him go cause there were several times I was ready to just have him come home, but I felt it was important to make him follow through. So I guess every once in a while I get this whole parenting thing right. But it sure ain't easy!

2 comments:

amylouwhosews said...

what kid really doesn't like the pool?

It's good you made him go, maybe he was just apprehensive and now he knows he'll have fun.

I would have had a hard time not saying "i told you so". That would have been my dilemma!

Heather said...

I would have made him go too. And look, as it turns out you made the right call!