Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2008

Pierced Ears!

When Ada was in Kindergarten a couple of her friends got their ears pierced and she wanted her ears pierced very badly. So Aaron and I talked about what the appropriate age for our daughters to have pierced ears is. In Aaron's family it used to be a tradition to pierce the girls ears when they were babies ( a Scandanavian tradition, he says.) The tradition ended when his great-grandmother's earrings were ripped out of her ears in grammar school. I got my ears pierced pierced when I was 14 (I think) My sister Juli has confused me on this issue because she says I got them pierced earlier than she did (age-wise) and that it was not fair. So maybe she could clarify the actual age. Anyhow Aaron & I discussed and decided that 8 would be a good age for her to get her ears pierced. She would be old enough to be responsible for taking care of her ears and keep track of earrings too.

She had been eagerly awaiting the arrival of her 8th bday so she could FINALLY get them pierced. She actually had to wait another 2 weeks past her birthday, because I was gone at girls' camp. But she was OK with that.

Here she is BEFORE (see no earrings.)

The gal who pierced her ears was really a trip. Lots of fun, although she did pierce Ada's first ear with the wrong earring. So she took it out and got the right one! That was kind of un-fun for Ada.
Here she is with her new earrings! Yeah! She's loving it.

Ada just hit her 6 week mark last Thursday where she can technically change her earrings out for other posts. She did the trade and found that it hurt pretty bad and is now willing (I think) to wait a little longer to switch her earrings again.

Now, I need to convince Kielle that she wants earrings...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I had to wait until 16 although whatever age it was you got yours shortly after me because your the baby and get whatever you want:) Mom did ask me if it was alright and I loved you so much because your the baby and get whatever you want that I said ok:) I am not showing Maryn these pictures because I don't want to be bugged for the next 4 years. Although I am sure that after the family reunion I will be begged to death for pierced ears. Ada looks cute as always. I don't think Madaleine will ever get earrings either or at least not before Maryn.

Unknown said...

I think I was 33 or so when I got my ears pieced. I felt so glamorous. Now I keep the same posts in and only take them out to clean them. It is so distressing when a nice earring is lost, like a diamond, which has happened. It's funny though. I have never lost my $8 posts from Wal-Mart.

Ada looks adorable and so happy.

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember that Juli didn't have to wait till 16. I remember being a little upset (at the time) that you both didn't have to wait as long as I did. So maybe Juli was 14 and you were 12? I took both Danielle and Carissa on their 12th birthdays to get their ears pierced and neither one of them wears them anymore - Carissa says her ears have closed up and she needs them re-pierced. Amanda has never wanted to gets her ears pierced. I too, have never lost the el-cheapo earrings, only the diamond ones. One set was a post and the other was a lever-back. Ada looks gorgeous

amylouwhosews said...

I don't remember how old I was - close to 12 I think. I remember it that my mom just said one day - let's go get your ears pierced. She tells me she took me after a lot of begging. Probably!

Marc Gingell said...

I had to wait until I graduated 6th grade...so 12 1/2 for me. We decided that when our girls are 8, then they can. Tasha is counting down the months until she gets earrings too! :)

Migaloo said...

I never did get my ears pierced, although I came awfully close for that Berlin/Thompson Twins concern. Mark actually did go under the safety pin for that event.

Nadine also will be jealous. It will be October when she gets to go get sharp objects blasted through her flesh dangerously close to her brain. She can't wait.

Teresa was 32 when I talked her into the speargun treatment for her birthday. Can I tell you how hard it is to find decent clip-on earrings to give as presents?!!

Migaloo said...

Oh yeah. Ader, you look fabulous, dahling.