Search This Blog

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Last camping trip of summer (ode to...)

I may never catch up with my life on here at the rate I'm going but such is life. The week before school started (Aug 11-15), my family took a close to home vacation. We started off the week camping just up Hobble Creek Canyon. Nice and close to home. We stayed for 2 nights and had a great time. I have decided I prefer muliple day camping trips, because one nighters only give you enough time to get away but not relax. I feel like I am constantly working (set-up, cook, clean up, etc.) when we go overnight. But when we go for at least 2 nights we have some time to really relax. I thought I would read the newest James Dashner book "The 13th Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters" But as you can see in my side bar I am still working on that one. What happened was I started reading the first couple chapters to my kids and then Nathan took the book to read it and I never got it back the rest of the camping trip!
(Nathan is obsessed with Harry Potter and Star Wars books so my secret to getting him to read other books is to pique his curiosity by reading the first few chapters of books I think he may be interested in and then he has to know how it ends and usually finishes the book within a day or two hehe.) So I didn't mind so much that he took the book. James Dashner was probably one of the first authors he became interested in (besides Mary Pope Osborne) Nathan started reading Dashner's Jimmy Fincher Series when he was in first grade--it was a great series Aaron & I read it too.

Speaking of books do you see what book Aaron was reading on our camping trip?


Look Closer!


There. Yes. To lessen my guilt for reading and being obsessed with the Twilight series I got my husband hooked on them so that I could at least discuss them with him thus not feeling entirely guilty for neglecting regular duties in favor of reading them.



We camped right next to a creek (dare I say it was Hobble Creek? I really have no idea, that might seem the logical conclusion though given that we camped in Hobble Creek Canyon.)



The water was low and so the kids had a lot of fun playing in it! This was a perfect start to our week long at-home vacation.

(P.S. There were also Mtn Lion and Bear sightings at our campground-so the camp host told us so we were fortunate enough to not have them visit us!)

3 comments:

Migaloo said...

I had Jensen on my lap while I was looking at this post. He pointed to the screen and exclaimed, "There's my cousins!"

We read the Jimmy Fincher series as a family and enjoyed them. Nadine enjoyed the 13th Reality, but the first couple of chapters actually turned me off and I haven't finished the rest.

James Dashner came to the school where I work to promote reading and writing in general, and reading his books specifically. His editor lives in our ward. Woo-hoo.

Migaloo said...

I haven't succumbed to the phenomena that is Washington state vampires and their love lives, and dealings with werewolves and nasty foreign vampires. At least that's what I THINK the story line is based on what Teresa tells me of the books. I'll probably go see the movie, though. I have read The Host, and rather enjoyed it despite myself.

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a fun time! We love H. Creek so much!