Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2009

State Champs



I can't lie and say this baseball season was all flowers and roses or rather home runs and hot dogs? Nathan was so eager to play baseball this year. I was a little surprised because this is my child who is more into exercising his mind than his body. I made sure over and over that this was what he really wanted to do before I signed him up and he assured me he would to stick it out. He came home after his first practice thrilled and excited and thinking this was going to be a fun season--but something changed between the first and 2nd practice. I was a few minutes late picking him up, it was overcast and I found him starting to walk home crying. His coach had been really tough on them and it was just not fun anymore. I told him to stick it out. Gave him the best support I could, because they were tough and kind of old school and I didn't think Nathan got to learn as much as he could've perhaps on a different team, but I think Nathan thinks it might've been worth it to stay on since his team came in 1st in the city league and went on to win the "State Championship" (I'm not sure how that really works since they only played teams from our area, but...) I would have liked to see him have more playing time during those playoff games, but I think I was more upset than he was. look at this smile:

And THEN after all the team photos were done I figured out how to take night photos with my new camera...durh!



I don't think Nathan will be playing again next year. He'd really like to go back to fencing (the expensive sport! gah! He might need to get a job first! :)) But I'm glad he tried out baseball and I'm proud of him for sticking with it to the end even though it was a rough season for him. Way to go Nathan!

3 comments:

Leslie Moseley said...

That is good that he stuck it out... builds character.

tink said...

I love that if things turn out okay, kids can quickly "forget" all the awfulness before the great result. A lesson for adults I suppose. Baseball lessons are easy to come by; character lessons, not so easy to find. I'm sure this year will benefit Nathan in multiple ways...plus he got a cool trophy I bet, and that's always a good thing.

Alisa said...

congrats to the champ! But....i really wanted to say that it's really fun to see Ada in the picture....please tell her hello!! I miss my kiddos @ Cherry Creek!