Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December Advent: Day Six

(I am still working on the photos for Day 5--coming soon.)

Prompt: Write about one symbol of the Holidays that has particular meaning to you.

We love our Nativity sets. As a wedding gift we were given a children’s nativity set. I thought it was sweet at the time, but didn’t realize how much it would mean to us through the years. It has been nice to have a set that the kids can play with and get up close and personal with the Christmas story without me worrying about it getting broken--it actually has been broken and we have had to repair parts of it and parts are missing like the tips of the wise men’s crowns or a bit of the angels wings. But that’s OK because it has always belonged to the children and over the years they have all loved playing with it.

We also were given a Nativity that only had Mary, Joseph and Jesus. Another wedding gift we received was a lone Camel made of Olive wood that one of Aaron’s college roommates, Dale Green, brought back from Jerusalem for us. Later we received a camel that used to belong to Aaron’s Aunt or Great Aunt and it came from her mission. We decided to add them to our Nativity and since they didn’t really match we have tried adding somewhat mismatched figures over the years because when you think about it, the shepherds and the wise men and all of us who come to Christ come from so many different places and we might not match up exactly, but we still belong to Christ no matter what we look like or where we come from. So that is the theme we created for this Nativity. We are still looking for one more wise man to complete that trio and are always on the lookout for pieces to add, but it is difficult to find just one piece of the Nativity.

2 comments:

Leslie Moseley said...

I have to mention, you skipped Advent Day Five. I know how you feel. I get behind and then when I do post, it seems no one reads it but I've decided that they are really for me anyway because eventually I plan to go back and get these posts scrapbooked. I need more time! BTW, I love these posts on the December Advent.

buttercup said...

I put a little disclaimer at the top of the post for day five. I am still working on photos. As I've gone on in this I feel like some of the prompts repeat themselves and so I might actually take the numbers off the pages unless it is something we actually did on that day like making the ornaments. I am starting to veer from the actual "assignments" to make it more mine. and I want it just right so each page is taking me well over an hour to do. That's why I am so behind.